Projekt Vagabond Isn’t Dead. I Swear.

I’m starting to get back to a point where I can start working on this thing again and it’s like flipping through a kindergarten yearbook. Every now and then I’ll find something that makes me think I had a stroke of genius. Other times it’s like seeing a photo of that one kid you hated more than bees. Like you’d prefer taking nails hammered into your ears than listen to that twat for a single second more than you had to.

Tonight I had more of the latter instead of the former.

This thing has taken several forms starting out as a PoC Bash Script that was around sometime shortly before Ohio Linux Fest 2014 to a full-blown 15,000+ line C++ program which would have worked but I didn’t realize how insanely asinine packaging software has to be (I don’t have that kind of time, especially these days). But then I had the bright idea to simply make a Vagrant Box (I was already using Vagrant in the backend for handling a lot of things) and just distribute that instead of all this rigmarole. Funny thing here is that there are still quite a few snags.

As I’m typing this, the box is uploading to a cloud store that I’ll make available to the public tomorrow. I ran into some problems during this process.

  • I wanted to be a somewhat normal person and upload the Box to Atlas, HashiCorps repository of Base Boxes. I thought that would have been a great way to make this available to people. But nope! I don’t know if there’s a size restriction on the Box size or what but it just wouldn’t take it. FYI – the Box is about 780MB in size. The goal here is that someone would have simply been able to issue “vagrant up gregfmartin/vagabond” and get the VM. Man that would have been nice…
  • Google pisses me off to no end these days. Tonight was no exception. It still blows my mind that I can’t update or configure an Android SDK Installation from the terminal without either (A) getting bitched at for some ridiculous reason or (B) having to press ‘yes’ to accept fifty licenses for these libraries instead of just being able to use an option that will opt-in to any license requests that would come up. The former makes it literally impossible to automate an installation. Some people on GitHub have described a work around for this but it’s really hacky and I’m a little concerned about the platform portability of solutions like those so I’m avoiding them like the flu.
  • This all lead to my idea of just making the Box and distributing the Box that I’ve manually tweaked. This has issues in and of itself in that (A) the bundled software is static unless the user wants to manually update or (B) wait for me to to update and republish an updated Box (which I REALLY don’t want to do if I’m being honest). This leads into supplementary tutorial material that will be on the project’s website.

In case anyone is wondering, the reason why the Box is so huge is because it contains a fully updated Ubuntu 14.02 64-bit base image, required prerequisite software to use the Android SDK and associate tools/IDE, the Android SDK installation with all 5.0.1 components as well as all Support Libraries that are compatible with Linux (important to note), and the recent version of IntelliJ Community Edition. So yeah, it’s a little fat. That’s the size it would be on your disk anyway.

Tomorrow I’ll get all of the stuff up on the website like documentation and how to do things with it and what you can expect by using it as well.

Something tells me I’m going to have to make some changes to this before too long. 🙂

Another Vagabond Update

I wanted to take some time out from working on it to provide you with an update to the Vagabond project.

Recently I had some piqued interest on Twitter for the project and it’s lit a little more of a fire under my arse to get it going. I’d continued to work on it but I was putting in on the back-burner in favor of other projects that I’ve been working on. It’s safe to say that I’ve got enough interest now to get it done.

If you need another synopsis on it, please check out my previous post about what Vagabond is.

Changes

My PoC code was a shell script that did the whole thing for me. I’ve since migrated the project to C++ and am going to build both Debian and RedHat Packages and also provide a source tarball. After some consideration, I may actually take this and eventually migrate to a web-interface in Perl but I’m still not too sure yet. I’ve got too much work going into the C++ conversion that I need to stick with that and see where that takes me. Additionally, I’ve put the development branch up on my GitHub. The project is under the BSD 3-Clause License so you can do what you want with it so long as it carries the license and you don’t use my name on derived works without pinging me first.

Right now the project is sitting at about 3011 lines of code (tallying both insertions and deletions but the graph is laid out on the GitHub). This may seem inflated but I’m adhering to the 80-line gutter since I’m editing exclusively in vim and I hate the word wrap on there. Rightly this could be consolidated and I’d probably manage to shave off a hundred or so lines. A compilation is possible as it is now and the help feature is 100% complete. The create option is responsive to tests but doesn’t do anything useful at this point and the Vagrant Propagation command isn’t coded yet. Most of the code might seem redundant compared to the PoC but I wanted to use some of the more robust features of C++ like Exceptions and Namespacing for proper encapsulation.

I’m still looking to be able to have this done by the end of next week. At least a rev one. If anything comes up that keeps that from happening, I’ll change the date but I’m pouring nearly all of my free time into the project so I should be able to hit it.