Tagged app design

Development Journal – Smsr Update 001

I’d like to think that I started working on a rough draft with Smsr and then it evolved into something else. This “rough draft” had a bit of code in it encapsulated in an entity called ConversationThread. A function of this class in particular was really nasty since what it did was take all of the SMS messages on the device and effectively organize them in a cohesive manner that didn’t rely on querying sub-providers like Sms.Inbox or Sms.Sent. The reasoning behind this was that when I would query some of the more specific Content Providers, like Sms.Conversations, the Cursor…

Development Journal – Smsr

The SMS client that I’ve been working on for Android is now being renamed to Smsr (even though the root directory of the project will still say sms_demo). I’ve uploaded the source code to Github so feel free to take a look at the source, fork or do whatever the hell you want with it. I’m going to be updating the contents of the wiki and the project landing page as major changes are made to the upstream build. http://gregfmartin.github.io/smsdemo/

Development Journal – Android SMS App

For the longest time, I’ve been wanting to write a SMS app for Android. The issue originally (and still is unfortunately) was that if you’re running a device that has a version of Android less than KitKat (4.4.x), a programmer doesn’t have access to native public-facing APIs to get access to these Content Providers. Instead you have to rely on the Reflection APIs to poke around for them and, if they’re there, use them that way. It might not seem like it at first but Reflection can be a bit heavyweight on more resource-constrained devices (which can potentially toss ANRs…

Development Journal – Designing Service Dialects

I think one of the hardest things I’ve had to do, aside from keeping up with emerging technologies at a pace that “relatively” parallels the speed it crops up, is thinking about and designing how a service will communicate with its potential clients. Perhaps I put a lot more work into this than what would normally be necessary but I feel like communications between clients and services should be seamless and cohesive not only in syntax but in conceptualization so that it’ll make sense both in text and on a whiteboard. Perhaps it’s more of a side effect of my…

The Shopper – Questions, Questions

This morning I was able to complete another critical portion of the feature set: item deletion. It now works for either single or batched deletion. In other words, you can delete either single or multiple items in one fell swoop. Of course, there’s no way to undo this but I’m not too concerned about that right now. Something struck me though. The original version of The Shopper had a visible dynamic calculator. As the user added, deleted, and edited items, the calculator would display the cost with and without sales tax applied. It also showed the total number of items…