Tagged android design

Development Journal – Smsr Update 001

I’d like to think that I started working on a rough draft with Smsr and then it evolved into something else. This “rough draft” had a bit of code in it encapsulated in an entity called ConversationThread. A function of this class in particular was really nasty since what it did was take all of the SMS messages on the device and effectively organize them in a cohesive manner that didn’t rely on querying sub-providers like Sms.Inbox or Sms.Sent. The reasoning behind this was that when I would query some of the more specific Content Providers, like Sms.Conversations, the Cursor…

Development Journal – Smsr

The SMS client that I’ve been working on for Android is now being renamed to Smsr (even though the root directory of the project will still say sms_demo). I’ve uploaded the source code to Github so feel free to take a look at the source, fork or do whatever the hell you want with it. I’m going to be updating the contents of the wiki and the project landing page as major changes are made to the upstream build. http://gregfmartin.github.io/smsdemo/

Development Journal – Android SMS App

For the longest time, I’ve been wanting to write a SMS app for Android. The issue originally (and still is unfortunately) was that if you’re running a device that has a version of Android less than KitKat (4.4.x), a programmer doesn’t have access to native public-facing APIs to get access to these Content Providers. Instead you have to rely on the Reflection APIs to poke around for them and, if they’re there, use them that way. It might not seem like it at first but Reflection can be a bit heavyweight on more resource-constrained devices (which can potentially toss ANRs…

The Shopper – Questions, Questions

This morning I was able to complete another critical portion of the feature set: item deletion. It now works for either single or batched deletion. In other words, you can delete either single or multiple items in one fell swoop. Of course, there’s no way to undo this but I’m not too concerned about that right now. Something struck me though. The original version of The Shopper had a visible dynamic calculator. As the user added, deleted, and edited items, the calculator would display the cost with and without sales tax applied. It also showed the total number of items…

Quick Thought – How I Updated Content in a TabHost

Every project introduces a few new challenges. Especially when you’re trying to add features that require you to do things that you didn’t to in the last project or simply haven’t encountered before. But this is the fun part of software development. Lest we forget, software development isn’t fun unless you’re pushing yourself to do things that you didn’t do before. If you’ve read some of the previous posts regarding updates I’ve made to the latest version of The Shopper, you’ll notice that I’ve decided to use a TabHost to hold ListView’s that act as dynamic filters for the proper…