Another Vagabond Update

I wanted to take some time out from working on it to provide you with an update to the Vagabond project.

Recently I had some piqued interest on Twitter for the project and it’s lit a little more of a fire under my arse to get it going. I’d continued to work on it but I was putting in on the back-burner in favor of other projects that I’ve been working on. It’s safe to say that I’ve got enough interest now to get it done.

If you need another synopsis on it, please check out my previous post about what Vagabond is.

Changes

My PoC code was a shell script that did the whole thing for me. I’ve since migrated the project to C++ and am going to build both Debian and RedHat Packages and also provide a source tarball. After some consideration, I may actually take this and eventually migrate to a web-interface in Perl but I’m still not too sure yet. I’ve got too much work going into the C++ conversion that I need to stick with that and see where that takes me. Additionally, I’ve put the development branch up on my GitHub. The project is under the BSD 3-Clause License so you can do what you want with it so long as it carries the license and you don’t use my name on derived works without pinging me first.

Right now the project is sitting at about 3011 lines of code (tallying both insertions and deletions but the graph is laid out on the GitHub). This may seem inflated but I’m adhering to the 80-line gutter since I’m editing exclusively in vim and I hate the word wrap on there. Rightly this could be consolidated and I’d probably manage to shave off a hundred or so lines. A compilation is possible as it is now and the help feature is 100% complete. The create option is responsive to tests but doesn’t do anything useful at this point and the Vagrant Propagation command isn’t coded yet. Most of the code might seem redundant compared to the PoC but I wanted to use some of the more robust features of C++ like Exceptions and Namespacing for proper encapsulation.

I’m still looking to be able to have this done by the end of next week. At least a rev one. If anything comes up that keeps that from happening, I’ll change the date but I’m pouring nearly all of my free time into the project so I should be able to hit it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s