The Shopper Development Update – B

Unfortunately I didn’t spend much time on The Shopper today. At least not as much as I’d intended to. However with what little time I was able to afford it, some goals were achieved.

Let’s start with the matter of orientation. I’ve been a bad developer and have been working on portrait mode as an afterthought and putting more attention to landscape. Frankly I’m more attracted to the way the app looks in landscape even though the same functionality can and will be present in portrait mode via shelves. The concept is similar to the YouTube app and is promoted even on the Android developer website under the Design section.

Portrait mode hasn’t been touched on too much

Right now the shelf isn’t implemented. Actually, swipe actions aren’t even listened to yet so it’s extremely raw. This has become a bit of a priority since I’ll be playing catch up with it if I don’t do something soon.

Meanwhile, on the landscape front, I trimmed some fat from the tab identifiers. Now they’re simply condensed to one word. Looks sexier that way. The list content is now dynamically populated from the database. As intended, the population mechanic uses distinct clauses so that multiple entries are only included once in the list. Right now, there is no enforcement on case so technically speaking there can be more than one of the same store or item entries in the list. I’m still coming up with the most user-friendly method for mitigating this behavior since realistically I only want one guaranteed distinct entry in the list regardless of factors like character case.

A bug was fixed regarding the addition of items not being immediately updated in the item listing. Now, when the user adds an item, the item listing gets updated as does the dynamic filters listing. Another bug was fixed regarding the conditional used to determine the orientation of the app. For some reason or another, I was under the assumption that checking to see if a Fragment existed was enough but that didn’t seem to be the case. Instead, a check for a particular View, more specifically the TabHost that contains the dynamic filters, was used instead and works perfectly fine.

Trimmed fat from the tab names

Sometime soon, I’ll have to do a post on how I decided to dynamically update the content of the tabs contained in the TabHost. This is a rather interesting problem in Android that, from what I’ve seen, doesn’t have a very easy solution. What I’ve done seems to do the trick but I’m not sure of the future impact of performance it will have. I’ll just have to keep my eye on it.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s